Classic tin can stilts have been around for a long time. Make some with the kids on a summer afternoon! They're fun to decorate and even more fun to stomp around with outside!
A few tips:
• I wouldn't recommend using a small can like I did for my son's. A 29.5 oz. can is perfect for smaller kids but a #10 can is even better, especially for bigger kids (like mom ☺) and for safety reasons.
• I opened the cans with a no sharp edges can opener.
• I had my husband drill holes and then I glued foam circles around them.(answering the comment)
• We decorated with paper, Mod Podge, and paint. The paper had a slippery/messy time and patterned paper was easier to work with than card stock.
• For the handles I used vinyl rope from Dollar Tree and hot glued ends after knotting.
-Picture of my can stilt supplies on Flickr.
* Family Fun's Can-do Stilts are decorated patriotic! (pictured above)
* Education.com's safety advice on their Coffee Can Stilts activity: "...have your child don protective gear and practice walking before hitting the open road."
* You can buy some fun Monster Clompers from ALEX Toys.