Make Peppermint Ornaments
Favorite Spiritual Christmas Songs
Have an ice cube scavenger hunt!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

RECIPE: Awesome Oat Bars (with wheat germ)

In early spring I bought a 50 lb. bag of rolled oats.  Whoa (says my husband), that's a lot of oats!  I had been thinking about making granola bars because when I actually buy them they're gone in a flash.  I went on a recipe search for a healthier granola bar with a similar texture to Quaker.  I tried two other recipes before I found a practically perfect recipe on Lauren's Latest that is no-bake and was adapted from Rachael Ray.  After making them once I made some changes because I wanted less sugar and more nutrition so the bar was a great snack choice this summer.  My version makes a 9x13 pan and has wheat germ (nutrition in wheat germ) and peanut butter or almond butter.  I make them most often with fresh peanut butter.  I hope you think they're awesome too!


awesome oat bars

Awesome Oat Bars

4 cups *quick cooking oats
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1/3 cup wheat germ

Mix in large bowl, set aside.

1/3 cup peanut butter (any kind) or almond butter
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey

Combine in small saucepan. Heat on medium until bubbling-- turn to low and stir for one minute.  Take off heat.  Optional: add 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. vanilla. 
Add saucepan ingredients to bowl and stir, stir, stir. Press mixture into 9x13 pan really, really good.  Let sit for a bit (quicker-- fridge for 30 min. or freezer for 15 min.) and then cut into 20 (or more) awesome oat bars! Store at room temperature in airtight container and eat often!

Download the printer friendly Awesome Oat Bars recipe with variations!  The almond variation is my favorite and my friend shared a cinnamon raisin variation she goes crazy for!

--recipe adapted from Lauren's Latest

• The sweetness and saltiness of the oat bars will depend on type of peanut butter (regular, crunchy, natural, fresh) and if you add salt.

*Make your own quick oats by placing a cup at a time in a regular blender and pulsing 3 or 4 times.  I take blender off base after each pulse and shake it up and down once.  Measure again for recipe.

linked to:
GCC Recipe Swap
Show Off Your Stuff Party
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tasty Tuesdays

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails